Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Marsha is Baptized!


Dear Family,

Well, my week was so fantastic!  SO many wonderful events took place.

We have a recent convert named Christ, who got baptized the week before I got to this area.  He is awesome.  He is in his 20's and really new the church was true.  Anyways, we are teaching him the new member lessons and we asked him if he would stay and teach another guy with us.  He stayed and taught this kid, Nate.  Christ LOVED it.  He was bearing testimony the whole time and he kept saying things like, "I promise you, if you read the Book of Mormon and if you pray about it, you will know that it is true."  "Dude, it's changed my whole life, especially since I got the Holy Ghost."  He even was talking about how it's sometimes hard with the law of chastity and the word of wisdom.... and I kinda stopped him there.... Nate hasn't been taught anything and had never even heard of the Book of Mormon. ha ha  But Chris was just so excited and when we finished, Chris said, "he totally has potential!  I hope he comes to church."  Then when Nate didn't show up to church, Chris was really sad, but we are still going to teach again this week.  It was so awesome.

So many amazing things happened... I got to go to MARSHA'S baptism!  Oh, it was so wonderful.  I was in Kirtland the whole day and so I decided to callMarsha and have a lesson with her to prepare for her baptism.  Mostly just words of encouragement.  I was sick a lot this week... and she said, "oh, you sound so sick, are you going to come? Did you get permission?"  I told her I did not get permission, but I told her that I knew of someone that was going and I said it was a surprise.  Well, of course, that someone was me!  It was hard not to tell her right then because she was so sad I couldn't go.  BUT when I got there, I saw the Elders and they said, "She is going to scream!"  I said, "where is she?"  I ran to the bathroom and I walked in and said, "Marsha", (in a different voice so she didn't know it was me).  Then I walked up to her and said, "I'm here!"  It took her a second to process what was going on and she said, "It's YOU!  Oh hunny, I told everyone you were sick!  Did you trick me on purpose?  Were you that secret spy?  Oh I can't believe you came all this way!"  She kept talking... that is Marsha, she is a talker :)  Then, she kept saying, "did you know, this is my 3rd time to get dipped?  I sure hope it's the last one."  Then when she went to get baptized the men were helping her and telling her again what was going to happen.  She said, "I got it, I am going to lean forward , right?"  They told her no.... and that she was going to be going backwards.  Well...Marsha was almost in tears after that. haha.  She kept whispering, "Oh dear Lord, Oh dear Lord.  Please help us all. "  It was hilarious because she was so serious.  Then they told her that she could plug her nose and I have never seen someone hold on to their nose so tight!  After it was done, she said, "oh, that wasn't that bad." ha ha.  She is a sweetheart and so complimentary.  I really love her... and I was so grateful President Vellinga allowed me to go.  We didn't get home until after 10:30.  It was so fun to go on a road trip with Elder and Sister Sorenson. :)

We have also been taking so many tours.  I love it, we feel so fulfilled.  We fell right on our beds last night, we were so tired.  We took 4 two hour long tours in a row.... my brain was fried, plus we had phone lessons and chats.  We took so many cute little families and prepared families.  So many connections.  One girl was way good friends with McKenzie Hunter and Kenny Roberts. One family worked for Angela Whimpey's dad and knows Angela's family!  And the boy is dating Heather Allan... almost every tour, we have some kind of connection.  It's so fun.  Two girls are adding me on fb too.... ha ha.

One tour was non-members stopping in from New York.  That was amazing... they accidentally made a wrong turn and pulled into the parking lot.  They thought, "well, let's see what this place is."  They were letting us share a ton of information with them.  The dad was really into history and loved learning about it all.  We bore testimony and told them what happened in the School of the Prophets.  I wasn't sure how they would react, but when we asked them what their favorite part of the tour was, they said, "the school room upstairs."  I asked why?... they said, "It just felt peaceful."  That was the best answer!  We talked about the spirit and they kept saying, "this is so cool".  We asked if they wanted a copy of the Book of Mormon and they said that they did.  So we gave out 4 copies.  Then the girls said, "I am definitely going to read this."  I asked the girls if they wanted me to call and read the Book of Mormon with them and be there if they had any questions.  They said, "oh you are so cute, yes!  We would love that!"  So now I am going to call them.  It was MEANT to be that they randomly stopped in Kirtland, Ohio.  They are going to be baptized. :) It was one of the most powerful non-member tours I have taken.  Kinda likeMarsha's tour. :) 

I wish I could tell everything.. I gave a discussion this week and I made everyone do planks and had them do certain things while doing the planks.  It was so funny.  We then related it to "enduring the end".  We met a guy who teaches people acrobats.  Like at sea world... I totally want to do that now!  We watched it... it was amazing! 

I really felt like this week I was in my only little world and have been evaluating my life a ton.  I have realized that when I get home, I want to do things differently.  I love the spirit.  It really can change you and make you want to be a better person, if you have an open heart.  I realized that I want to be the best that I can be now, and when I get home.  I want to be better at studying and constantly nourishing my testimony.  I want to have the spirit with me always and make my home like a temple.  I have been surrounded by so many people who really understand the gospel and they are just so inspiring.   I want to raise my standards even more.  This gospel truly is what makes us happy.

I love you all so much!!! 

Sister Johnson

ps- 2 boys came in preparing for missions ... I felt inspired to share an experience Dad had on his mission, when he remembered a time when he was in seminary.  I told them and they were really appreciative..


Sister Johnson with Marsha

Sister Johnson with Marsha at her baptism 6/28/14





No comments:

Post a Comment