Monday, June 23, 2014

Baptisms


Hi family,

Oh my, my heart hurts.  My prayers are going out to the Minor family.  I actually met someone yesterday who knew them from Hemet...

3 people I have taught are getting baptized this Saturday.  I have been asking for for a while to go to Marsha's baptism.  It's usually not allowed because otherwise missionaries would be traveling all over the mission to see people that they taught.  I asked my District Leader and I never heard back.  He was waiting for the Zone leaders to talk to the AP's so they can talk to the Mission President. Anywho, I just asked Elder Sorenson...(because I was impatient) and he said, "one second".  He turned around and called President Vellinga.... then he text him and long story, but President ended up calling me.  Still, nothing decided.  Then I saw him at the fireside last night and I said, "I have been thinking about it and I don't think that I should go. " He said, "Do you think you shouldn't?"  I told him it wasn't fair because other sisters have been able to go to their baptisms after they got transferred.... well, long story short, he said..."hmm... I think you should go, you have my permission."  I was SHOCKED and reallllyyyy happy.  Elder Sorenson is driving me and we wont get home until after 10 (after curfew because it's far away).  I am reallllllyyyy spoiled.  All the sisters kept saying, "how do you get permission for everything?"  I feel guilty :/ but I get to go to MARSHA'S baptism!  And Alexandria and Kayla's was on Saturday and he said I can go to all 3, but Alexandria and Kayla didn't show up to church, so they had to cancel...

Elder Sorenson was out of town for a while sealing his grandson and new granddaughter in the temple.  He said, "Do you realize that this is a dedicated site, just like the temple is dedicated?"  He said that being in the world really opened his eyes again and he said that being on site feels just like being in the temple and he said, "basically, we get to live in a temple every single day."  So cool, huh? :)

I talked to Dakoda!  Did you hear?  He is pretty cool.  I told him about the Johnson home and how we have section 76 in the D&C. Then we talked about the Plan of Salvation.  I also talked to Kent twice!  He has a cool hick accent.  I told him about Newel K. Whitney and Joseph first meeting each other in Kirtland and talked about prayers being answered.

We were pulling weeds this week and It was sunny and hot outside.  We were so sweaty.  We were going to stop by a few people after we were done and when we did, we ran into a cute lady and told her about Primary (we had just practiced telling people about Primary in district meeting in the morning).  She was so interested and says she has been looking for a church that is family oriented.  Well, all of a sudden HUGE clouds were rolling in...and there was a ton of thunder. We were thinking... "we better get going" but there was another lady sitting out front.  We HAD to talk to her too... so we ran up to her and she said, "what on earth are you doing outside?  Did you know there are tornado warnings!?  It's almost here!  Get in my house!"  Well, as missionaries, we definitely cannot decline that, so we went in her house and we were able to talk to her about the gospel.  She was the sweetest lady and really so prepared.  She saved us from the storm and we stayed in her house until it ended :)  It was meant to be and really a miracle.  She is going to be a strong member one day, I know it.  We are so grateful that we were in the right place at the right time.  Before we left, I felt strongly like I needed to testify from the bottom of my heart that I knew that these things were true.  I prayed really hard that the spirit was there and that she felt it...

Sorry I am so long winded today. We did too much this week and I took so many neat tours with non-members and people from all over the United States.  We even got to play volleyball and go on a hike for Family Home Evening with the Community of Christ this week.  We did not feel like missionaries.  It was too much fun. 

We have also been in Kirtland a ton and have given so many tours. Kaden, guess what?  I took a tour with this family and this boy kind of looked like you.  I said, "hey you look like my little brother."  This kid said, "really?  No way.  That is cool!" I asked him how old he was and he said that he was 12.  I said, "Hey! My brother is 12!  Then I said, "what is your name?"  And he said, "Kaden."  I said, "How do you spell it?"  He said, K.A.D.E.N. I said, "Do you play basketball?"  He said, "I am playing on a league right now." Then I told him that my brother's name is Kaden and it's spelled the same and he plays bball!  He got really excited. ha ha.  It made me happy because it reminded me of you :) I love and miss you too much.

When we ate dinner with Uma the other day, she told us what the food was called, "white melon soup." Well, then she said it in Thai. When she said it, she said the F word!  The word melon in Thai is the F word! She started laughing and said, "we have melon all the time, it don't bother me." It was kinda funny, but I was kinda uncomfortable. ha ha. 

I love being a missionary.  I learn so much.  

Anyways, I love you a lot. I hope you have a great week. 

Love always,

Sister Johnson

"For those who feel physically or emotionally exhausted, start getting regular sleep and rest and make time to eat and relax. Recognize that being busy is not the same as being worthy and being worthy does not require perfection."









No comments:

Post a Comment