Friday, April 12, 2013

Last week in the MTC


Hey Ya'll!

First off... THANK YOU for the cute package. Everyone wanted to see, it was way cute. Tell Robin and The Novillo family thank you as well!  I never thought I'd love letters, dearelders, packages as much as I do :) 

Did Aunt Margene tell you I've been in the nurse's office quite a bit?  I've been sick...and I think all the girls in my district are getting sick as well.  It's probably from lack of sleep ... every night I say, okay guys we are going to bed on time  ... then someone ends up hopping on my bed wanting to talk about life. haha I love it though.

It's crazy my time is almost up at the MTC. I didn't think it would be this hard ... it will be nice to get out in the world again :) Did you get my flight information Mom? I can call twice. Once in Salt Lake and once in Detroit ... but, it's super early! We have to leave at 4 a.m. on Monday or something. Oh and we are going to the temple today!  I'm so excited.


So, we are started with Visitor Center Training this week. ALL of our Elder's in our zone left. We were all waayyyy sad.  We got so comfortable and then BOOM they all left to Vegas and England.  So now it is just girls ... it's way quiet, but we are able to focus more, which is great :) 

We got to go to Salt Lake on Wednesday and we go again tomorrow night.  I've been to Salt Lake so many times before ... but this time was different. The spirit was so strong and I looked at it in a completely different way.  I am doing exchanges with the missionaries on Temple Square tomorrow night!  I'm kinda nervous, because this is the first "REAL" time I'm going to be teaching, but I'm excited :)  Also, we are getting trained on the referral center.  So the people on Mormon.org that answer questions, that's ME!  We got some sketch questions yesterday, but it was super fun to be on the computer messaging people, especially about the gospel.

We met with a bunch of investigators in TRC this week. This one lady, Gabby, completely opened up to us and told us about how her brother committed suicide and she didn't understand how God would take her only brother away and leave her to be alone.  We were able to bear testimony to her and helped her understand that God has a plan for all of us and she would be able to see him again.  I told her about an experience I had with Uncle Mike, and she started crying. Then I looked at Sister Smith and Sister Clark and they were crying as well.  The spirit was so strong.  It was amazing to see the relief in her eyes to know that she could see her brother again.

Ok, CONFERENCE was amazing wasn't it??  To be in the MTC during Easter and General Conference was so wonderful.  I don't think I've ever taken so many notes during conference. I don't have a favorite-favorite, but Sister Dalton's was great :) Bednar's was so blunt and SO good! AND Elder Clayton :) I was like, "I know him!! "

Okay, one more quick thought... the last lesson my teacher Brother Elton taught us was amazing.  I feel like everything just clicked.  We talked about how a mission will help to be a mother and a wife/ husband and father.  It's not enough to know the Book of Mormon is true. It's not enough to have a testimony that Joseph Smith restored his church upon the earth. Those are just stepping stones.  What we really need to know is that God is there. He is in our lives every day.  He loves us.  He cares for us and sacrificed EVERYTHING beyond comprehension for every single one of us.  We hear it all the time, but do we really believe it?  Do we pray to our Heavenly Father with faith knowing that He will answer and do we have a sincerity of heart praying to Him?  Our relationship with God or Heavenly Father needs to be rock solid. Not our relationship with Nephi or "knowing" our parents or grandparents have a testimony.  What if an apostle left the church?  Would we question?  Would we consider leaving too?  We shouldn't. We shouldn't because we have own testimony of God, our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. If we are TRULY converted and truly know and have a relationship with Heavenly Father, we will never stray. We need to be disciples of Christ. 

Another question to this is, what is the difference between a Mormon and a disciple?  A Mormon is a follower.... he/she goes to church, serves in a calling, prays and does the motions. BUT a true disciple doesn't just go to church ... they go to church to really gain and grow - with questions in their mind and a sincere heart.  They don't just pray...they pray WITH Heavenly Father. They "talk" with Him. They open their heart to Him and really have that relationship with Him. As we learned in General Conference, "the most important work you can do is within the walls of your own home". Times are getting worse which means WE need to become better. Without a relationship with Heavenly Father, we will not survive.  Our future kids or kids now won't survive. The adversary is working harder than ever. "Without God, we are nothing, but WITH him, we are everything!"  The times are changing, going through the motions won't cut it, we need to become truly converted and true disciples of Christ. 

As a missionary, my purpose isn't to teach people about our church. My purpose is to invite them to come unto Christ and teach them the "Doctrine of Christ" and do this by helping them apply the atonement into their own lives. Satan succeeds when we tie people to "the church" and not the Gospel.  By doing that, we get people with a testimony, but really we need to have conversion.  Joseph Smith asked which church to join, but deeper than that, he was asking Heavenly Father what His purpose in life was?  Where was he supposed to go or expected to be in this life?  Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ gave him direction.  He went to God and ASKED! He relied on the Lord. Trusted Him.

I know that if we have our own testimony, but most importantly, form a relationship with Him or even strengthen it, we will never fall! We can never fall with God by our side.  I know God lives. I know He loves us.  I know that through the atonement, we can return to live with Him on day.  I know that through Joseph Smith, through the restoration, through the Book of Mormon, through prayer, etc, we are able to become closer to Him. That is so important.  Love you.  Be happy.  Be safe. Be prayerful!

Love,
Sister Johnson

PS - Kory, you are amazing! You are on a spiritual high. Keep it coming :) I really do "love" all your insights. Also, Kiki - I miss you too! You are the best! Loved your notes. I hope your ankle heals quick!  Kolton, you signed up for Lacrosse?!  Tell me more!  Love you!  Kaden. Keep being a good boy :)  I'll write you!
"The SPIRIT is the key, OBEDIENCE is the price, LOVE is the motivation, CHRIST is the reason"

No comments:

Post a Comment